My setup allows me to keep one monitor displaying something, for example some data in a spreadsheet, while another displays something else, like my email. It took a little while to get used to using both of them, however now I find that I feel lost if I only have one monitor (like when using laptop away from office).
It's really useful for a few things that I often do:
- when doing any copy/paste from one document/spreadsheet to another
- during design or development on a website, to view the page as it appears on different size screens
- to monitor my email as I'm working on other things
- to read or reference a document while writing another document
- to work on a document or spreadsheet while displaying a presentation using a projector
- to work on a document while also looking at a webmeeting