Our new Linksys router offers better coverage in our house as well as better speed. It also offers a "parental control" feature that lets us set specific times when specific devices may be on the wifi. This means that I can set it to shut off the wifi to our PS4, iPad minis and any other specific device at bedtime! We are loving that, although the accompanying moans and groans from our kids were pretty loud at first. Now if I could just set an automatic "off" time for all of those same devices to make them totally unusable at a certain time, that would be even better...
The router came nicely boxed and it was very easy to set up. I had it working within just a few minutes. Some of its other features include:
- a web-based dashboard to change settings, passwords and use the parental controls
- an app to give access to those same things on a mobile device
- it's dual-band, which means that I have two different networks that I can join from my devices - a faster option and a slower option. It's nice to be able to hook up my work computers to the faster network and give the kids the slower one.
- offers "guest" networks, too, with their own passwords, separate from my main network
- parental controls to turn wifi on/off for any specific device, or set specific times when it is available
Here is a link to a description of the specific router that we purchased (from Staples):