Thursday, December 12, 2013

Holiday Shopping and Technology

Holiday shopping can be fun and hectic at the same time.  I'm trying to do more online this year and I'm having pretty good luck with it.

We are big Amazon users, so I've been able to find decent prices on quite a few items on there (and our Prime membership gives free shipping, to sweeten the deal).  For movies I haven't found great pricing, but I've had good luck with books (especially odd ones that are not available in regular bookstores).

This year we've gotten some great deals on electronics, including a 50" LG TV for a steal from Walmart, as well as a great price on a basic BlueRay player (also from Walmart).  Their website now allows store pickup, which gives me the best of both worlds - the convenience of shopping online without the wait and cost of shipping.  A few online retailers are doing that now and I like it.

Email coupons are also huge this year, so I'm trying to keep them in a separate folder in my email in order to find them easily on my phone.  The tricky part for me is to remember that I have the coupons at all.  Without a piece of paper in my wallet, they are easy to forget.

For clothing I don't know if I'll ever really do much shopping online, since I prefer to see colors and feel fabrics in person.  Unless it's a retailer whose products/fabrics/sizing are very familiar, I'm hesitant to buy much online.

Every year we create holiday cards online using my usual photo printing service (Snapfish.com).  I try to watch for a good sale in November on their cards, order them early and get them done.  Of course I have all of my addresses on my computer and I use a mail merge to create labels, so it's a pretty quick process to prep them for mailing.  We send out about 100 cards, so anything that I can do to make it simple and quick is a very good thing.

Happy holidays and a prosperous new year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment